There are no updates this week because . . . It’s the most wonderful time of the year – or so they say. Christmas should be everyday, don’t you think? The prophets foretold it. The rabbis taught it. The angels declared it. The shepherds witnessed it. Today, we celebrate it. But how? And why?
Satan has no originality. He can only imitate and copy what’s already taken place, what’s already been done. Still, he would like to destroy the true meaning and purpose of Christmas. So along came Santa Claus. Has he replaced Jesus as the reason for the season? Think of the likenesses and consider the following list. You may want to check it twice.
1. Both have hair like wool (Revelation 1:14; Daniel 7:9)
2. Both have beards (Isaiah 50:6; Revelation 1:14)
3. Both come from the north (Ezekiel 1:4; Psalm 48:2)
4. Both are omniscient–all knowing (Revelation 19:6)
5. Both are ageless and eternal (Revelation 1:8; 21:6; Hebrews 13:8)
6. Both make a list of judgments (Revelation 14:7; 20:12; II Corinthians 5:10)
7. Both check their list (Matthew 10:26; II Corinthians 5:10)
8. Both give gifts on the basis of the list (Matthew 25:21; Revelation 21:27; 22:14)
9. Both involve rewards once yearly–Day of Atonement
10. Both receive our confession of sins (I John 2:1; I Timothy 2:5)
11. Both ask children to obey parents (Proverbs 6:20; Ephesians 6:1; Colossians 3:20)
12. Both deal with Christ’s “supposed” birthday
13. The hour of their coming is a mystery (Matthew 24:36; Mark 13:33; Luke 12:40)
14. Both use a light for guidance–Rudolph’s nose (Matthew 2:2, 7, 9, 10; Numbers 24:17)
15. Both call all children to their knee (Matthew 19:14; Luke 18:16)
16. Both have a twinkle in their eye (Revelation 1:14; 2:18)
17. Both will make a swift visit to the whole world in one day (Isaiah 47:9; Revelation 18:8)
18. Both are omnispresent–Santa is found in every mall at the same time (Psalm 139:7-10)
19. If I may use just one verse out of context–both say “ho, ho”. (Zecheriah 2:6).
Merry Christmas to all and to all a very blessed holiday season!